R: [OM] EC import equipment

Subject: R: [OM] EC import equipment
From: "Marco Tomat" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:52:36 +0100
In Italy you have to pay about $2.50 fixed plus a 200f the
declared/supposed value (VAT, taxes). It is regardless of "gift", sample or
merchandise. An insured parcel *must* undergo Customs care. If the value is
null, then you have to pay only the $2.50.

Different is the eventuality of "mail". Common "mail" or even most "small
packets" bypass Customs at all. While "value" mail (that is insured or
registered) does not.

I ask all my sellers to send not insured, not registered by "mail" and not
by "parcel". USPS as a preference.

If the declared value seems too low to Italian Customs, they ask you an
invoice or a declaration of the real value.

Shops? If they enclose an invoice they shall declare real value and check
merchandise box. But if the item is so small it can travel in the "mail" and
is not insured it is very likely you get without taxes, in Italy at least.

On the other hand, if you want to get the item in very few days you do
better with UPS, TNT or the like. You shall pay all the taxes but your item
shall be processed by Customs in one day only (it can take one full month or
more otherwise).

Marco