Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:42:40 -0600
Jan spoke of Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and snob appeal:
>I've been pretty happy with the Bogen/Manfrotto 3270/3271 combo. I
>originally got the 3275/410 Mini-Gear Head, which has the 3270 QR mechanism
>as part of its casting. So then I did everything else I owned with
>3270/3271 stuff, and couldn't be happier........

For the past nine or ten years I've been using three different tripods.  I
have a heavily modified Davis&Sanford jobby that I use for backpacking,
bicycling, long distance hiking and some travel.  It basically goes
everywhere the cameras go.  But on the recommendation of two people, my
brother and a well-known but now "sponsored by" another tripod manufacturer
wildlife/nature photograher, I purchased two Bogen (Manfrotto) tripods.

For studio and "American cartrunk" photography I have a 3021 base with 3047
3-way head.  This is the head with the bubble levels and hex quick-release
plate.  Total weight of this mass is about 10.5 pounds.  Advantage of this
monster is that it does get low to the ground, carries tons of weight and
takes a hurricane or earthquake to shake it.  Spread the legs out at the
medium height and it is pretty much impossible to blow over.

I have had a love/hate relationship with the 3001/3055 heavy-duty ball-head
combination.  It is never tall enough and it doesn't get low enough.  The
3001 base is supposed to get to 12.25 inches of the ground, but the height
of the ball-head is 5.5 inches making the minimum elevation 17.75 inches.
Definitely not low enough for macro field work.

My brother had his 3001 modified for low-level operation.  I looked at his
and determined that I could also modify mine too.  Well, I finally did.
Tools required:  File and hacksaw.  I filed the ear off the thumb tabs and
cut about 4 inches off the center post.  Result:  The tripod base now gets
down to 7.5 inches and the overall minimum height is now 13 inches.  This
makes the tripod actually usable now for macro work.

I made up some pipe-insulation covers for the upper segments of the legs
and used camo ducktape to wrap them with.  I figured that they would last
for a year or so, but after eight years they are still going strong.  Total
cost:  $5 per tripod.  The insulation acts as a terrific pad for throwing
the tripod on your shoulder and keeps your hands warmer.

My 3001/3055 combo has travelled tens of thousands of miles on airplanes in
the carry-on compartments and inside soft luggage in baggage and shows wear
and tear in a few places , but nothing has ever broken on the Bogen
tripods.  The 3021 has those stupid levers on the legs that require
tightening every few uses, but othewise has been flawless too.

Ten years ago, the Bogens were the tripods to have and their coolness
factor was pretty high.  These days, you have to have carbon-fiber and
those massive ball heads that cost more than a medium format camera.  I am
not a retro-grouch, but I must say that my getting the Bogens was a very
wise decision, and if I had to replace them today, I would probably get a
couple more.  Only thing I'd do differently is to get the black tripods.

Total cost these days of a Bogen 3001/3055 combo is around $170.  A Mamiya
carbon-fiber tripod  starts at $470 without a head.  Hmm, that difference
is enough for another couple OM-1 bodies.

Now, I am going out to the prairie to use the newly modified tripod....

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx