Re: [OM] Zuiko medium tele lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko medium tele lenses
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:23:34 -0600
At 07:26 PM 3/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I am looking to buy a medium length tele or tele zoom Zuiko lens for my
>OM-1.  Any recommendations?  Is the 70-210mm as good as the 75-150 or
>the 200?  What about the other makes, such as Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar,
>etc.?  I currently have a 50mm/1.4 which is superb.
>Thank you,
>Mary

Hi Mary,

You should probably flag down Gary Schloss on this list for some
suggestions, particularly about the third party lenses.  I'm not familiar
with a Zuiko 70-210 zoom. The 75-150 can be quite good if you find one in
good working order.  There are two Zuiko 200's, the f4 and f5.  The f5
keeps your filters at 49mm. The f4 is pretty heavy and jumps you up to 55mm.

I have a Tokina 60-300 zoom which I find to be impressive. I have found
Vivitar zooms to be good, especially the heavier ones, probably because
those are the ones possibly made by Kino Optical Co. in Japan.  But I find
myself steering clear of big, heavy lenses.  It's so hard to figure out how
one should carry them.  Even my 200/f4, a stalwart lens, is starting to try
my patience in terms of how much room it takes.  First MC 200/f5 I see I am
apt to buy.

Third party lenses, however good they might be, often force you to
compromise at least something of what you may value about the OM system. I
believe sometimes it is worth it. But I have come to value my Zuikos more
rather than less as a result of forays into third party lenses, not because
of what makes the third-parties bad but because of what makes the Zuikos good.

Please also use the URLs in the trailer below to navigate to the FAQ and
list archives.

Joel