Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:04:25 -0700
At 08:54 AM 25/03/99 -0800, Glen Lowry wrote:
>Thanks Garth,
>
>From the feedback I'm getting I think I'll try to get my hands on both the
>24/2 & 28/2--I've used both these focal lengths for quite awhile and enjoy
>their differences.

The 24/2.0 Zuiko has one of the worst reps in the Zuiko line-up wide-open.
Don't know why, since I've never seen an image from this lens, and never used
the lens.  But see Gary Reese's post re: his own testing of the 24/2.0 (which
verged on unacceptable for vignetting).

>As far as the 21/2 goes, I love my EOS 20/2.8 and use a lot--especially for
>people--I like the distorted, slightly wonky sense of space it imparts, and
>would like an olympus (near) equivalent.  But I think I'll have to save my
>cash until one comes along.

Indeed.  I managed to get a mint example of the 21/2.0 for $550.00 U.S. (I seem
to have good luck with used wide angles and bad luck with used telephotos --
don't ask me why).  Oftentimes one can pay more and not do any better.  But
they're rare on the ground.

>J'espere que vous avez un bon voyage en France.

Thanks, me too.  It's a combo business trip (conference in Paris) and visit to
relatives with a week of lazing about in and around Haute Provence and the
French Riviera.  I'm hoping to take some nice shots of La Defense while I'm in
Paris -- the conference is being held there -- as well as Cap Ferrat on the
Riviera (smell that money!).  Oh yeah, also spending a few days in Cambridge
before going over to France, to visit an old friend and drool over 700-year-old
University buildings, OM firmly in hand.

By the by, anyone on this list have any recommendations vis-a-vis buying film
at your destination vs. taking it with you?  I'm finding the hassle of security
personnel hand-inspecting all my film to be more irksome as I get older and
lazier.

Garth