Re: [OM] MC and SC Zuiko lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] MC and SC Zuiko lenses
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:53:05 +0100
Giles schrieb:

> John Hudson wrote:
>
> Pentax have the best lens coating technology of any manufacturer.  They hold
> the
> basic patents for the most effective MC formulation.

It is not the only company who hold patents in this field of technology.
Regarding "best" coating technology, I´ve observed, that B&W and Heliopan
produce filters with less reflection than any other filter I could look
on. So, there coating technology seems to be pretty good.

> It is not surprising your Leicas and SC zuikos are fine performers in terms of
> sharpness as this is not the aspect of performance MC really addresses.  The
> purpose
> of multicoatings is to reduce internal reflections in a multi element lens
> which
> result in flare.  Flare adversely affects contrast.  Multicoating should have
> more
> of an effect on a lenses contrast and flare performance than on its
> sharpness.  As a
> bonus, MC improves the overall transmission of light through a lens.

True, but did you hear someone complaining that his Leica lenses lacks
contrast?

Does somebody think Leica has no access to the most advanced coating
technology or doesn´t use it because it is to expensive, are Leica
lenses that cheap?

Could it be, that Olympus old position had some truth in it "The type of
coating is just based on the practical needs" (not an original quote ;-)?

There are some SC Zuikos I wouldn´t buy (based on _my_taste_) but there
MC sucessors.
The catch is that I believe, that Olympus has changed more than the
coating with some lenses, so SC and MC versions might not be comparable
in this respect.

Among Nikon user it is know, that the old SC non-AI 85mm/1.8 lens is a
sharper (and probably more contrasty) lens than the newer MC 85mm/2.0 lens.

Reading the new posts, Kens test of an lens with damaged coating,
seems to suports my position, that coating alone doesn´t garantees good
image performance.

Regards

Richard