Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:59:06 +0000
I do not believe the 24mm f2 deserves the bad press it seems to be getting all
of a
sudden.

William and Garth have both mentioned it having a bad reputation and I find
this
rather curious.  I have been subscribed to this list for a while now and do not
recall previous postings that would justfy this.  I recall Doris saying
previously
that she had both the f2 and the f2.8 and that she prefered the latter, but her
criteria was weight, not image quality.  Anyway, she ALWAYS says she prefers
the
lighter lenses ;-)

I have a 24mm f2 and find it delivers very good results.  Perhaps I am not
critical
enough?

The only other critical posting I can recall is Garys with the test results
comparing it to the 24mm f2.8.  Even here I don't quite see how his test
results can
be interpreted so that it suddenly becomes a dog.

The way I read the test results is that the f2 has slightly better performance
than the f2.8 from f2.8 to f11 with better contrast throughout.  Even the
vignetting mentioned is on par with the f2.8 version at f2.8.  So what if it is
not
great at f2, this is frequently the case with fast lenses - they are often not
great
at their maximum aperture.

As a case in point take a look at Garys test results for the 50mm f2 macro
(reproduced below).  Unless I am completely missing the point the performance
of the
24mm f2 is not that dissimilar, leaving aside the distortion aspect.

I have reproduced below all the test results for the 24mm f2 I could find.
None of them seem bad to me.  Sorry if this is wasted space but I thought some
people might prefer the convenience of not having to go looking.  I wish we had
the
Modern Photography test results for this lens as weel as those for the 28mm f2.

Thanks to Gary and all those who have provided us with test results.

Giles

Garth Wood wrote:

> The 24/2.0 Zuiko has one of the worst reps in the Zuiko line-up wide-open.
> Don't
> know why, since I've never seen an image from this lens, and never used the
> lens.
> But see Gary Reese's post re: his own testing of the 24/2.0 (which verged on
> unacceptable for vignetting).

Based on  lens tests by the Magazin Color Foto, published in 5/96, 11/97 and
12/97.

Lens          Sharpness Contrast  Centering Distortion  Vignetting Total  Test
in

Olympus Zuiko   17,8     22,7       17        7         6           70,5  11/97
2/24mm

50mm f/2.0 Zuiko Macro
Vignetting = B
Distortion = None
Aperture  Center  Corner
f/2       C       C
f/2.8     C       B-
f/4       B       B
f/5.6     A       A-
f/8       A+      A+
f/11      A       A
f/16      A       A-
(very contrasty with high resolution)

24mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = C @ f/2, B @ f/2.8
Distortion = pronounced waveform
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2       C-        D-
f/2.8     B         C
f/4       B+        B
f/5.6     A         B+
f/8       A         A-
f/11      B+        A
f/16      B         B
Note: Easy to focus due to bright viewfinder image.  Lens hood selection
critical since vignetting not predictable in viewfinder.  Very contrasy image
at f/5.6, contrasty at other apertures.

24mm f/2.8 Zuiko (single-coated)
Vignetting = B
Distortion = slight pincushion (none?)
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     C+        C+
f/4       B-        B-
f/5.6     B+        B+
f/8       B+        B+
f/11      A         A-
f/16      A-        B
Note: Slightly soft contrast.

24/2 MC (7/84 p. 65):
Actual: 24.73/2.06, Distortion: above average barrel
Centering: near-perfect, Flare: 0.6%, Transmission: 94%
Percent contrast of 0.01mm slit image:
                    2   2.8     4       5.6     8
Center          51      76      82      83      83
1/3rd out       50      67      68      67      66
2/3rds out      44      51      55      50      55
Far edge        40      41      55      70      69