Re: [OM] Camera Bag

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Bag
From: "Tom Curlee" <t_curlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:52:45 PST
Chip:

I picked up a traditional design medium size Tamrac bag about a year
ago.  I really like the Tamrac bags but I found that the bag wasn't big
enough.  After I put in 2 bodies, winder, motor, 2X extender, and 9
lenses there wasn't a lot of (or any extra) room, much less ease of use.
However, since I got the bag used, in like-new condition, and half price
over a new bag, I can't complain.

Also, I found that the bag didn't lend itself to my type of photography.
My son and I do a lot of railroad photography, often either out of the
back of a pickup or off road/off trail.  I found that crawling over
rocks and up the side of a hill isn't easy with a over-the-shoulder bag.
Another problem with the traditional bag is that lenses tend to be 2
(and sometimes 3) deep.  Lots of digging to get what you need.

As has been discussed on the list in the past the best type of bag will
depend on the type of shooting you do.  A over-the-shoulder bag or vest
may work great shooting on the go while I like a backpack since I can
hike to a location, pull it off, and pull out what I need.

I recently found a used Tamrac 777.  I really couldn't justify a $225+
bag but for $100 used......

I really didn't answer your question about what inexpensive bag to buy
but here's one suggestion about design to think about (at least it works
for me).  Find one that the entire front zips open, not one where the
equipment loads from the top.  This way the equipment is not stacked 2
or 3 deep.  I then glued the rear lens caps of 2 pairs of lenses back to
back (thanks whoever on the list suggested this!!).  This way I can drop
a pair of lenses in a padded cell in the bag without them banging
together and I don't lose rear caps.

With the front zipped open everything is accessible and in view.  I
don't need to dig under flaps to find lenses.

Hope this helps somewhat, even though I don't have manufacturers names.

Tom