Re: [OM] OM bodies...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM bodies...
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:10:45 EST
In a message dated 3/30/99 11:38:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Don't flame me for the above statements.>>

Wouldn't even think of it... ;-)

<< I am merely expressing personal taste
 and experiences. I will however like to hear other opinions on information in
 viewfinders.>>

OK, you asked...

I learned photography on Olympuses. First a 35S (meterless rangefinder), where
viewfinder information was nonexistent. Then I got an OM-1 and was blown away
by the convenience of metering through the finder. I lived with the OM-1 for
about 12 years, when I picked up an OM-4. I find the display in the OM-4 to be
a masterpiece of ergonomics. When in multi-spot mode it presents an enormous
amount of information in a very intuitive fashion. The OM-2S is great as well,
in the same vein as the OM-4, but not requiring as much information to be
displayed. One thing I miss on the OM-2S, compared to the OM-4, is the lack of
shutter speeds visible in manual mode. I also prefer the display at the bottom
of the finder. The OM-2S's display location forces the illumination window to
be put in a spot where I tend to cover it with my fat fingers, particularly
when I have a winder mounted.

<<Frankly speaking, the - imho perfect - design in the OM2/OM2sp
 was a core reason why I initially bought Olympus over the other brands.>>

The OM-2S display is great, but not perfect, IMHO. See my comments, above. I
was into the OM system long before the OM-2S came out (about the time th
eoriginal OM-2 came out, I believe). I just got lucky that Olympus introduced
so many great cameras in such a short period of time. Too bad they stopped
doing that.

 <<Therefore - of course - my experiences are limited to Olympus. >>

As are mine. Aperture info would be nice, but I've lived without it for so
long it's become kind of a moot point.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI