Re: [OM] Camera Bag (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Bag (OT)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:34:14 -0800
>From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
>
>In a message dated 3/30/99 10:59:51 AM EST, dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I think CWO (they may be called Camerworld.com
> now, officially) is a medium-sized camera store using the net to leverage
> themselves into being one of the gigantic stores>>

They've been around a LONG time. I don't think they'll ever be a "gigantic"
store, and I'm not sure they'd want to be one.

>...it seems many
>people are attracted to several stores that advertise in Pop Photo, et al,  by
>the low prices quoted in the ads, only to wait four months and not receiving
>the promised item, then having to get a refund, or cancel the order and then
>order it from B & H who has the item in stock, but for a few dollars more...

Being a local, I shop Camera World quite often. Their "walk-in" retail
prices are higher, but they will honor their mail order prices if you ask
them. And quite often, they have specials that are below mail order prices.

Regarding stock, ALWAYS ASK! I have *never* known Camera World staff to lie
or mislead about stock -- "I've got it," or "that would have to be
back-ordered" are the responses I get.

>... In my experience, if you want to
>avoid the B.S., go to B&H first.

As far as avoiding BS, I think Camera World is in the same league as B&H.
True, they don't have the stock B&H has, but they'll let you know. And
they're a lot friendlier, also!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229