RE: [OM] Lens element separation

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens element separation
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:41:42 +1000
Charlie wrote:

> Could someone refresh my feeble mind and tell me what to look for
> in detecting separation?

I have a lens which exhibits "separation" (not a Zuiko by the way).  When I
look through the lens, off camera, at an evenly lit surface, I see a series
of a few almost concentric rings/bands, not grey, but slightly coloured.
These are interference fringes caused by reflection from the separated
surfaces.

> If a lens has both problems is it worth the repair bill?

I was told that the problem CAN be repaired, however it relies on completely
separating the cemented elements, cleaning and re-cementing.  I was advised
that it wasn't worth attempting for my lens.  I guess you would need to get
a quote for the work to decide if it is worthwhile for your particular lens,
probably not worth it for a 50mm f1.8.

> I don't know if the fungus has eaten the coating yet.

What colour is the fungus ?  Are there different species of fungus for SC/MC
lenses ?

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/