RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up

Subject: RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:09:07 +1000
Jan wrote:

> I was asked to photograph some custom made furniture for a
> friends sales
> catalog.  What would be a good minimum studio light or flash set-up
> (portable) for this purpose?  Will I need those white umbrellas?

First of all, think about the effect you wish to achieve.  The most enticing
furniture advertisements I have seen have been in a "natural" room setting
with "natural" light.  "Natural" meaning that it looked like a real room in
available light, it may not have been.

> Could I get by with 2 or 3 flashes (I have two older Metz
> flashes and one
> T20).

Unless you can visualise exactly what the effect of 3 flashes will be -
forget it, you have too many variables to consider, e.g. lighting ratios,
where shadows fall, specular reflections.  Unless you have modelling lights,
or take polaroids you will have virtually no control over the result.
Can you use natural light, maybe a few reflectors to fill in where needed ?
Do you have access to photofloods ?

> The lenses I am planning to use are:
>
> OM Zuiko Macro 3.5/50mm
> Tamron 2.8/90mm Macro
> OM Zuiko 3.5/28 mm

Try them all, you'll probably be able to decide on the day, if you have any
others take them along too (though I doubt you would actually use a 500mm
mirror).  The macros might be good to show some detail of the "custom"
aspects of the furniture.

Let us know how it goes.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia