Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:45:16 +0100
At 22:59 20/06/99 +0100, Keith wrote:
>There are a couple of tips newcomers to slide projectors may not know:
>
>1. Never touch a quartz halogen projector bulb with your fingers

Absolutley!

>2. When you've finished your slide show, switch off the projector and don't
>move it or let anyone jolt it for a couple of hours until the lamp is
>completely cool because the hot filament is extremely fragile.

This used to be true of older tungsten lamps, but I don't think it applies
to halogen ones.  At least, I've never had a problem and I always put the
projector away soon after I've finished with it.  I had an old Hanimex
projector which warned you not to switch the fan off or move the unit till
cool, but with both my current QH projectors (a Zeiss-Ikon 35mm and
Kindermann 6x6), the fan goes off with the bulb, suggesting that it's not
necessary to cool the bulb after use.  Modern car headlights use similar
bulbs.....

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross