Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:35:58 -0700
Ken Norton wrote,

<Sports - Keep the button pressed whenever there is any action--period.  As
a result, there will be four keepers out of 1-2000 pictures shot during the
event.  Another thing that has happened is that sports photographers today
don't develop the timing or the "look ahead" ability that the older sports
pros had.  Most sports photographs pretty much look the same now and are
taken from the same locations.  Fewer sports photographers know how to
position themselves in relation to the action.  The buyers are ending up
publishing "grip-and-grin" shots from the events.>

Ken,
I couldn't agree with you more on all your points.  Well done again.
As a foot note I would like to add that I have been shooting sports more
often of late.  What I have found is that the autofocus is too slow.
The sports or action mode focuses on the wrong thing and the rapid fire
approach
is a waste of film.  My boss gives me a few rolls of film to get a football
game
and that's it.  The auto exposure is useless to boot.
I found myself setting an exposure for the field manually and opening one
stop
or so to get light into the faces.  Then I put it on manual focus.
Sounds like a job for an OM1 no?  The winder is nice but it weighs too much.
I will experiment some more with the OM's.  The OM2000 may be just the
ticket.
Amazing!!!
Does the OM2000 take the 300 f4.5?

Charlie L.