Re: [OM] OM mount Teleconverter quality......

Subject: Re: [OM] OM mount Teleconverter quality......
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:28:35 +1100
>With the latest talk about teleconverters, I was curious as to how good
>they are by brand?  Most seem to be pretty cheap, meaning "not good"
>(except Oly of course).  Here are some I have heard of (but never owned):
>
>Omega
>Albinar
>Vivitar
>Rokunar
>Tamron
>Soligor
>Tokina

There are some variables here. For openers, 7 element is much better than 4
element in any brand of 2X - usually designated as MC7 (multicoated) and
twice the size. Another common brand I see around is Teleplus. Kiron also
shows up.
Second problem - who made it? I suspect that, given the similarity in
design, many are made by the same company. The maker Glanz has been
suggested to me. The Vivitar 2X macro that seems so popular among Oly users
also appears with Panagor and Teleplus on it and very minor differences -
it's a Glanz product I've been told.
I have a Teleplus 2x MC7 (acceptable), a Kiron Match Mate MC 1.5X (good)
and a Tamron SP Adaptall (very good but dedicated to Adaptall lenses).
AndrewF