Re: [OM] Zeiss 100-500 Zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Zeiss 100-500 Zoom
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
I think that there were at least three versions of
these Japanese made 100-500 zooms.  There was the
first Cosina 100-500 zoom that I think was 5.6 through
the zoom range.  I have never seen a test of this but
it was a real monster and some said it was the best of
the Japan made 100-500 ilk.
In any event I have an apples/oranges comparison for
you of the Vivitar S1 100-500 and Cosina 100-500. The
Vivitar f5.6-8 (67mm filters) achieved SQF levels for
11x14 print of: @100mm [5.6 to 32] 91,94,94,94,90,
&92, @300 [f6.7 to 38] 85, 86, 87, 85, 79, & 71, and
@500 [f8 - 45] 75, 75, 80, 78, 73, 64 (PP test about
1991)
The Cosina f5.6-8 (72mm filters) @100mm resolution of
40 to 57 center and 36 to 51 edge, contrast 30% to 45%
at center, @300mm resolution 35 to 50 center and 32 to
40 edge, contrast of 28 to 40enter, and @ 500mm
resolution of 31 to 39 center and 27 to 35 edge with
contrast 22 to 34% (MP test about 1985).
About that time in 1991 there was also a made in Korea
version that Cambridge camera was selling that used
72mm filters and was nominally f5.6 to 7.2. I believe
that this one was sold under the Samyang/Phoenix
nameplate.
I have the Vivitar S1 and it is as sharp as a prime in
the 100-300 range. I tested it against the Zuiko 300/4
at f8 at which f stop it was indistinguisable. I don't
think I had a good enough tripod/technique to test it
at 500 where it was kinda soft in my tests.
-Xato