Re: [OM] Dioptric Correction and other thoughts for Ross

Subject: Re: [OM] Dioptric Correction and other thoughts for Ross
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:26:17 -0800 (PST)
Ross,

First of all, welcome to the list.  We occasionally discuss
things OM, but lately there has been a lot of off-topic dueling
going on.  It's cyclical, give it another week or two and we'll
be ok again.  Maybe.  I might have to open the floor up with the
dreaded "how many versions of the 50/1.8 are there" discussion.
Works every time.

My eyes are also a bit nearsighted.  Worse part for me is that
my vision is cruddy at five feet.  Unfortunately, that is the
apparent focus distance of the viewfinder.  Therefore, some
correction is required.  OMs do not have "high-point"
viewfinders, like the dreaded Nikons do.  The exit lens is a bit
smaller than that found on an F5, F100, D1X, etc.  So wearing
glasses while shooting with OMs is much more difficult.  (The
D1X is a perfect match for my glasses!).  The OM-3 and OM-4
series of cameras have a built-in dioptric adjustment.  OM-2s
and down does not.  I found that the diopters for Minolta
manual-focus cameras fit almost perfectly.  Just spot a couple
tiny dots of adhesive on it so it doesn't slip out.  A minus-1
diopter *should* be perfect for you.  My left eye needs -.5 and
my right is -.75 in my glasses.  A -1.0 diopter in the camera is
perfect for me.  I tried a -1.5 and -2.0 and they pulled my
vision too much.  A -.5 doesn't do squat for me.

> Of course if I want to shoot both color and B & W, maybe I'd
>better better pick up another body. . .  (uh oh). . .

Well, duh!  You think any of us will disuade you from getting a
second OM body?

>I'm probably the last person to recommend NOT getting another
>OM body, but if you shoot colour you can always convert it to
>B&W later and get some "filtering" options along the way.

I have a hard time recommending this method.  The way the color
layers work, I have found the grain-intensification to be
seriously obnoxious.  To each his/her own, though.

AG-Schnozz