[OM] Re: OM's and vibration, was: Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's and vibration, was: Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:04:30 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>Good advice, Greg - thank you. Albeit difficult, I'll keep an eye on hunting
>one of those.

Yes, they are hard to find.

>Fernando.
>
>on 31/07/2005 16:23, GMcGrath@xxxxxxx at GMcGrath@xxxxxxx, wrote:
>

>>In a message dated 7/31/2005 9:31:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
>>fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>>The  tripod collar helps my 85~250 quite a bit. Wish I could attach
>>one to my  200/4 + 2X-A,
>>

>>Fernando,
>>If you can find a removable tripod collar for a Tamron 80-200/2.8, it may
>>fit the bill. I used one with my Vivitar 2x Matched Multiplier that went with
>>my
>>Viv. 75-205, but I don't know if it will fit the 2X-A.

It does indeed fit the 2xA, and looks pretty good
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Z2002xaTamMt/>. In the second
pic, you can see that the tripod mount is tightened down as far as it
will go. The 2xA is as small a diameter as it will grip.

In the third pic, you can see that the fit on the rubber ring is not all
that snug. The problem is twofold. First, the diameter of the rubber
ring is just a little smaller than would be ideal. Second, the mount is
designed to grip solid metal. Unlike the Oly mount for the 300/4.5,
et.al., it is not designed to grip the barrel all around. There are
three hard plastic pieces on the inside of the mount, one at the top and
one each down where the mount "y"s away at the bottom. So with all these
factors, the grip on the 2xA is decent, nothing is going anywhere, but
not ideally firm.

Several solutions are obvious; some temporary, which would leave the
mount still usable for its intended lenses. The other would be to remove
the interior pads and replace them with something, firm foam?, to reduce
the inner diameter a bit all round.

Moose