[OM] Re: Cold Weather Shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: Cold Weather Shooting
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:47:07 -0400
On Apr 5, 2007, at 4:26 PM, ScottGee1 wrote:
> And doncha just love Spring in New England?   :D

Like I love spending time with nymphomaniacal lepers. <g> (No offense
intended to any lepers on the list, mind you.)

Which brings me to the subject of weatherproofing. Again today I was
out slogging through the snow, executing image captures right and
left . . . and when I'd climb back in the car to head to another
locale, my poor old E-1 looked like the shots we've seen of the
camera held under a faucet to clean it off. We're talking very wet
snow, which translated onto a very wet camera and 14-54 and 50-200.
Once again I am in awe of the E-1 build quality, 'cause all them
captures migrated painlessly to my computer when I got home, and the
E-1 is dry and warm in its bag again.

Which leads me to believe I may just have to wait for the long-
anticipated E-Thing rather than jumping ship to Nikon or Canon. With
the Canon one must spend the large bucks which I don't have to get
the weatherproofing. Nikon's a little more in line, with the D200
being sealed. But I wondered as I looked at how wet my E-1 got
whether the D200 and some top Nikon glass would be up to snuff.

Yeah, I know, I could put a rain suit on a Canon or just maybe be a
little more circumspect about wandering through the weather, but,
hell, I was out shooting the way I like to go out shooting, and the
E-1 just fit the bill so nice. On the downside, though, I could have
used more ISO than the E-1 can deliver in order to make larger,
cleaner prints. Little guys do just fine up to 800, but when you go
large, the E-1's disabilities ISO-wise start to shine. Or smear, or
whatever you call it. And some image stabilization would be nice, too.

--Bob
www.bobwhitmire.com