Re: [OM] Classic Retro Lens Hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] Classic Retro Lens Hoods
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:34:40 -0800
On 1/25/2013 8:12 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Why can't Olympus make a decent little lens like the 20/1.7?

I'm pretty sure they 'can'. Who knows how product planning is done in any
company. A product doesn't go into production
until someone or, more likely in Japan, a committee, decides it fits into
larger scale plans and is projected to
increase overall profit. Likely even detailed design requires such approval.

It appears that Oly is still differentiating prime lenses into different
categories, lower/consumer = f2.8, higher =
f1.8, highest = ED f2.0, although the last two may be just one.

Although we assume their heritage has been forgotten by younger people in the
company, I wonder if some older people at
the top (at least until recently) might be steering clear of 20 mm, remembering
the failure of the old 40/2, and going
with the 4/3 eq. of a classic focal length, 35mm.

If so, it appears they may have misunderstood the problem with the 40/2, that
it wasn't the focal length, so much as
that IQ was sacrificed for size/weight and price, and repeated the mistake with
the 17/2.8.

I'm guessing that the new 17/1.8 will correct the performance problem, for a
price in cost, size and weight.

Still, the current situation shows the advantage for the buyer of the
consortium approach started with 4/3. The range of
primes available is greater than we could hope for from one maker so soon after
introduction of a new type and format of
camera, µ4/3 MLC. Thirteen AF primes from 8 to 75 mm, two super fast MFs and a
300 mm MF lens is quite extensive.

On 1/25/2013 1:46 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Aren't they trying to do that with lenses like the 12mm?
> Shame it's so pricey, but the 45mm isn't chopped liver.

And there you have it! Cheap and decent? Or great and pricey?

Whatever you want, there are others who want the other. The trick for the maker
is to get the mix right to make a little
money - and stay in business.

What? Moose