Re: [OM] Versions of Zuiko 50mm f 1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Versions of Zuiko 50mm f 1.8
From: Chris Weir <chris.a.weir@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:38:08 +0100
Type 1: Original 6 elements in 5 groups, single coated. All silver nose are
Type 1, but there are many black nose Type 1s.

Type 2: Revised 6 elements in 5 groups, single coated. The basic formula is
the same as Type 1, but all the elements are different, the first element
is larger in diameter. Few parts are interchangeable with Type 1.

Types 1&2 are both marked F-Zuiko. Serial number on the decor ring.

Type 3: Major redesign. 6 Elements in 4 groups, multi coated. Marked Zuiko
MC Japan on the decor ring. Serial number on the lens mount. Mechanical
design is changed for easier manufacturing, more plastic used, lighter,
slightly shorter. The front 3 elements, groups 1&2, are a semi-sealed unit,
which is very difficult to disassemble.

Type 4: Identical to Type 3 except for an improved multi coating, called
NMC by Olympus. Marked Zuiko Japan on the decor ring. Note No MC marking.

Type 5: Optically the same as Type:4. Mechanically redesigned for even
easier manufacturing. Even more use of plastic. The rear groups are held by
a bayonet fitting, rather than screw threads. Marked Zuiko Made in Japan on
the decor ring.

Reputedly Type 5 lenses are optically superior. They all seem to have been
made in the same factory and precision and QC may well have been better.
You cannot, however assume a Type 5 is better than any other; My best and
worst samples of the 50mm f1.8 are both Type 5.

In general I do believe the Types 3 to 5 have better edge resolution at
wider apertures, and Type 5 has the potential to be superb, but see above!
Any MC type obviously handles flare better and has higher contrast

The big problem with Types 3 to 5 is fungus in the front elements. Fungus
is VERY common in lenses sold on e*bay. If it is stated that an MC 50mm
f1.8 has fungus DO NOT BUY. I would advise not buying an MC one without
careful inspection.

Not all have fungus, my Type 3 bought new in 1982 is fungus free.

Types 1&2 can be cleaned of fungus, but may have coating damage which will
have some effect on contrast, but I don't know how much.

You cannot rely on the decor ring to identify a type, as these are
interchangeable. Types 3 and 4 are otherwise difficult (impossible?)to
differentiate. Otherwise, it is possible to identify the type by
inspection, if you know what to look for.

Hope that is comprehensive enough!

This information is derived from the Olympus lens diagrams, and my own
observation. The only type I don't own, at least one of is Type 4.

Chris