Re: [OM] Re: Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Flash
From: Denton Taylor <Denton_Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 10:13:08 -0500
>>This comparison about recycle times is interesting (really, I'm not
spoofing
you here, I like tech stuff)  but I'm  wondering if any of you Metz users
could speak also about the quality of the flash in terms of evenness of
flash
field, aesthetic appeal, that sort of thing.  I got kind of hooked on my
little T20 after being a Vivitar 285 user for ages because I was struck by
how
good the flash pictures looked,  even light, center not overly blown out
point
and shoot style and so on.  (And the compact size didn't hurt either
perched
on those spindly hot shoe adapters!) >>

I shot a roll of 100ASA print film thru my 8008s and one thru my OM4T.
Personally, I don't think ANY small flash mounted on a hot shoe gives
photos that could be called pleasing, unless one is using some kind of
diffuser. When I had the SB25, I always bounced it into one of those
Lumiquest diffusers.

With the Metz CL4, there is a main light as well as a small fill light, or
'blink light', that can be used when bouning off the ceiling. However, I go
one better. Metz makes a very large 'bounce card' that one can bounce the
flash into.

So, all I can say, is that using this arrangement, admittedly a handful, I
got beautifully lit, soft, properly exposed photos. There was no red-eye,
hot spots, or glare. I didn't get white, pasty faces, against a black
background; I got nice light, with even, gentle falloff. This was true
whethe I used the Nikon or the Oly.

In fact, this is one less thing I will use the Nikon for, now that I am
assured (with Olympus/Metz) of great pictures, well-lit, using OTF/TTL
control, with superfast recycle times.

Denton

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx