Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:32:47 +0100
At 10:48 am -0700 21/3/98, Garth Wood wrote:

>At 03:49 PM 3/21/98 +0000, Javier Escartin wrote:
>>
>>I need to take some slides of figures over my computer
>>screen (16' Sun screen) with a tele (100 f2.8) and a tripod.
>>The figures are just colour lines and symbols over
>>a black background.
>>Has anybody in this lest have some experience with these kind of
>>shots?  I was going to use Sensia (cheapest), take the
>>meter reading of a 18 0ray figure on the screen, and bracket
>>at speeds slower than 30.
>

>I used to do this type of thing a lot.  Be prepared for really lousy image
>quality -- even worse than you can imagine.  If you can find any way to do
>direct digital captures from the analogue signal (and then fill in the
>scan lines using Photoshop or some other software image manipulation
>package), I *strongly* advise that method instead.  Otherwise, your plan
>sounds fine to me.  (No point in spending a lot of money on the film,
>*that's* for sure...)

Try the 135mm f3.5 'cos you could do with less light ie longer exposures.
1/15 or less.  Treat your diagram as though it's an abstract landscape etc.

Try Ektachrome - works well with monitors.

You should get excellent image quality - I have exhibited photos taken from
a Trinitron screen, and projected them to 15 feet in width using a good
Kodak carousel projector.

Forget dye sub prints from a raster image scan - they will be, how can I
put this, crap and much more expensive.  If you have the original digital
file in reasonably high res. then think about dye sub if you have the dosh.

Just remember the magic rhyme:

Film is from silver, digital is from rust
Silver is sublime, the rest becomes dust.

Remember to use a shutter release cable and chant the mantric OM whilst
releasing the shutter and you should be well pleased with the results.  If
you have any problems with this - contribute to my airfare and I'll pop
over and show you how to do it and drink all your beer.

Thank you and good night.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com