Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:30:13 -0600

From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Actualy the Vivitar lens on the table was a 100mm/2,8. Vivitar had sold
>a 90mm/2,5 lens, able to go to 1:1 without adapter, too, it´s the same
>lens than the Elicar Macro 90mm/2,5 lens. The Elicar was tested in the
>same lens test, but I didn´t include it in the table because the lens
>performance was so bad.
>
>Richard

I have owned a couple of Elicars, and I still have one. This lens was also
recently reviewed by Popular Photography. It is not great, but it is not as
bad as the review you saw. It is a conventional design that reaches 1:1
(latest model goes higher) by pure extension. It was designed as a medical
macro and not for infinity. I have taken some very good pictures with mine.
I think the Elicar style 90mm Vivitar may have been called an f/2.8.

Doug