Re: [OM] OM 4Ti Champagne

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4Ti Champagne
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:00:17 +8
There is no problem with corrosion of titanium, just the opposite.
It is very resistant to corrosion and is used in many applications
because of this property, such as medical prosthesies - screws, hip
joints and other such hardware that is imbeded in the body.  Salt
water doesn't bother it at all.  I believe cadmium can cause Ti to
corrode as the USAF had problems with the SR71 early on which was
traced to cadmium plated tools being used.

Titanium is also able to withstand very high temperatures while
retaining it's strength.  It has roughly the same weight as aluminium
but with the strength of steel.  I believe it also does not suffer
from metal fatigue but in fact becomes stronger with moderate
flexure! With repeated heating and cooling it also increases in
strength - self tempering I suppose.

When the USAF retired the SR71 blackbird spy planes they were
actually stronger and tougher than when they were built despite
considerable flexing of the wings and fuselage with each flight where
air friction would heat the wings so they glowed cherry red at night.

The best stuff to make the OM5s from is metal scrapped from an old
used SR71.  (Phew, managed to slip an OM refernce in ;-)

Amazing stuff

Giles