[OM] troubleshooting an olympus stylus

Subject: [OM] troubleshooting an olympus stylus
From: Gail Meglitsch <meglitsc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:00:42 -0500
Help.... I have a somewhat elderly olympus stylus  (ss#5703939, if that
matters). I have "better" and more expensive cameras but my old olympus
ends up in my pocket, seeing a lot of use. I like it better than the newer
models: it is smaller and lighter.

So here's the problem. Yesterday, I reloaded the olympus on the fly. I took
the first picture and when the film advanced it sounded like it was slipping.
(sort of a filmish clicking sound). Since I'd only taken one picture, I
I'd open it and take a look.... sort of leeaping before looking. The film
was spooling but the holes in the film were not aligned correctly with the
sprockets. I tried to get it to rewind but it would not. I tried taking
another picture, nothing happened. It was then I noticed the LED exposure
counter was on 0. Not 1 or E but 0.

I have manually unloaded the film and tried loading a new roll. Everything
I try fails. The olympus's mind is totally confused, I believe. It is as
if various locks are activated, because it thinks it's on exposure 0, it isn't
going to respod to anything because it doesn't understand what exposure 0
is. I've tried messing with it with the battery out, with the battery in, with
a fresh battery, with no film..... the old olympus is sits there, stubbornly
refusing to load film, rewind, or open the shutter.

Does anyone have any quick work arounds for this impasse. I hate to send it
off for repair and wait for weeks to get it back, if there is some simple thing
I can do to clear the locks, LED or whatever.

Thanks
Gail Meglitsch meglitsc@xxxxxxxxxx