Re: [OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:47:50 +0100
A while ago I discovered some strange behaviour in my OM4 (w/o Ti)
>related to its mechanical 1/60 shutter setting.
>I was taking pictures on some party and the batteries went dead. I
>didn't bring spares with me (that won't happen to me again!) and
>couldn't get new ones. No problem, I thought, because it was night, was
>gonna use a flash anyway, so this is where the mechanical shutter is
>for. But because it had a heavy zoom mounted (a Kiron 28-200) I had the
>Winder 2 attached for better balance, using its grip for vertical shots
>and also used the motorized transport.
>When I had the roll developed, none of the pictures taken after the
>battery failure were exposed - except for a few ones I took w/o the
>Winder! When I examined the camera, it appeared that the Winder,
>operated w/o batteries in the camera, does flip the mirror and moves
>the shutter curtain(s), making you think it took a picture, but never
>opens the curtains (at least I could not see any light come through,
>holding it against the light). Operated without Winder, everything goes
>ok.
>Is this some special curse on this particular camera, or can anybody
>else reproduce it - is it even maybe a known 'bug'? And if so, does the
>4Ti or 2(n,S) also suffer from it?
>
>Hans

Hans,

This happened to me when I used the red 1/60 on my OM4 after batteries
dying on me - using studio flash.  I did have new batteries with me,
however was being lazy as all light was from the flash heads.  Thought it
was just my camera as it behaves perfectly apart from this one glitch....

The camera was being used with a Winder at the time.

I think we've found a bug - right all of you OM4T owners - whip the
batteries out attach a winder and see if you suffer also.....

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com