[OM] Internet Marketplace

Subject: [OM] Internet Marketplace
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 06:10:16 EST
Hi all:

<< I am the only OLYMPUS dealer in the world, that I know of, without a store,
and it took me three months of negotiating to get this dealership. >>

Paul's attempt at getting recognized as a vendor by Olympus tells me a lot
about the mindset of Olympus management!  Why or why couldn't they quickly
recognize the validity of Internet-based commerce?  Or was it a problem in a
US-based retailer going international with shipments and stepping on the toes
of Olympus divisions in other continents?  Not that New York based vendors
don't do just that, and with grey market goods to boot.

A company not fixed to utilize the WWW and Internet based, international
commerce isn't up with the times.  As for road show based vendors, the
computer industry is full of them.

Who the heck wants a fixed location store front when they are selling a niche
product?  You have to make a presence where the buyers are.  New York-based
vendors made a name in mail order presence (thereby freeing me from 40 mile rt
train rides to Altman's in Chicago to buy non-Kodak products when I was a
kid).  But just try and get SERVICE out of them!  Now it is possible for sole
proprietorships and limited partnerships to flourish and ideally bring back
service.  It is also possible for the same outfits, with storefronts, to break
out of the limitations imposed by a fixed local and limited customer traffic.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV