Re: [OM] Polariser PL-CIR

Subject: Re: [OM] Polariser PL-CIR
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:31:53 +0200
Fabian Chow wrote:

> I have an OM-4. At present, I am wondering whether I should continue using
> my existing two Hoya "ordinary" Polarisers, or purchase the often
> recommended "circular" one (PL-CIR). I believe (even though I can't seem to
> find it in the manual) that the spot metering system that measures through
> the reflex mirror is affected by the conventional polarised light from the
> conventional polarisers. My multi-spotted exposures on slide film so far
> has not brought out any major abnormalities when using the normal
> polarisers. Am I missing something out here? Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
>
> Fabian.

Hi Fabian,

You definitely need a circular polarizer to get reliable spot meter
readings. Average metering is also affected in manual mode. Only the OTF
system used for auto is unaffected.

Try a simple experiment: Find a subject with little or no polarized light,
e.g. a lamp. Keep an eye on the exposure indicator while turning
the polarizer. The indicated exposure will vary about one f-stop over a
90 degree turn when using a simple polarizer.

BTW, I think I can even see the variation in the viewfinder. When the
meter reads low the finder is bright and vice versa, as should be expected.

Another matter: You may have circular polarizers without knowing it. Try
combining the two polarizers. Circular polarizers will not have a position
where the combined filters turn black (unless they are placed face to face).

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"