Re: FW: [OM] FW: Professionals using Olympus

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] FW: Professionals using Olympus
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:00:46 -0500
>Speaking of vision, I have bad eye's (wear contacts) and have a really
>hard time focussing my OM-10.  Do any of the other OM's have easier
>focussing?  The OM-10 doesn't allow interchangeable focussing screens, what
>OM's do allow them and which focussing screen are the best?  This is the
>reason why I bought the Canon, I thought AF would greatly help me.
>However,
>ironically, I seem to get more out of focus shots than I do with the
>Olympus. I'm
>puzzled by this one!
>
>< I felt the need to explore to see what aided and abetted my vision.>

Kris:

Many of us use corrective lenses in the viewfinder eyepiece.  My vision is
decent, overall, but at 5 feet I am off quite a bit.  Unfortunately, most
viewfinders have a focused distance of approximately 5 feet.  The OM-3t and
4t have built-in dioptic adjustment, but any other OM model will require a
corrective dioptic lens available from Olympus.  I've installed Minolta
corrective lenses on my OM and used a couple tiny drops of glue to hold them
in place.  I did that because I got the lenses really cheep and OLY glass
was quite expensive at the time.

As far as why your success rate was lower with the AF camera... This is
quite common unless you are picky about making sure you place the focus
bracket on the subject you want in focus.  Typically your subject is
off-centered which means that you must focus ON the subject and while
holding the button down (halfway), recompose.  I love AF for subjects that
move, but otherwise non-AF is far faster and more accurate for me.

Ken N.