Re: OM-4 Wish List (was Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive)

Subject: Re: OM-4 Wish List (was Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive)
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:32:35 -0500
At 10:04 PM 6/13/98 +0000, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
 A large number of
>> functions could be added,
>
>> JUST BY CHANGING THE PROGRAMMING.
>
>Great idea, Paul. It makes you wonder why the N*k*n F5 is not equiped
>with something like that (or is it?). 'User functions' seems like a
>somewhat limited attempt to introduce this concept.

The F5 does that now. You can wire it to a PC and run it from the PC. Even
use the 1000 segment meter as a crude videocamera. The F90 also has computer
connections for downloading exposure data and user manuals (which are stored
on the camera in ROM).

>On top of it, you could introduce 'every feature has its price',
>where you would send your body to the service organisation to have
>your selected features 'installed' (hey, this might stop those never
>ending discussions about which features are necessary ;-)

Canon does that. Their pro service will reprogram an EOS-1 for a fee.

>I like your idea of selecting the lens in use, in order to show the
>diaphragm in the finder. And I would go for the memory function, as I
>now often wonder what the difference between some pictures was.
>
>Could it be realised by an external company? I guess so (allthough
>not in an economical way?). We could design the user interface on
>this mailinglist and send it to Olympus. All they need to do is build
>it ;-). With the current exchange rate they'll love to save on R&D,
>so..

I think it's too much for an independant. They could not make enough money
selling the upgrade only. Olympus would do it to improve sales of the whole
system, and, by its reflected glory, all of their cameras. In spite of
failing to update the OMs, they still give it the top billing in their full
line brochures. It's still the flagship.