[OM] Tripods in the rain forest / OM2n v OM2SP

Subject: [OM] Tripods in the rain forest / OM2n v OM2SP
From: Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:48:47 +0100
After my recent first trip into a rain forest, anyone who does serious work
there has my admiration.

Kerry Dressler wrote "Tripods are out, usually the ground is very uneven and
very muddy."  Have you thought of a Benbo tripod?  They are designed for
just this kind of environment.

To quote one review they are "uniquely simple to erect on uneven ground".
They have sealed legs where the top tube goes inside the lower one.  This
means that they can easily go into over a foot of mud without problems.
They can be set to give a very low camera view point and have a tilting
centre column which can be moved to almost any position, so they are ideal
for photographing plantlife.

I have the Benbo Trekker - the smallest and lightest in the range and
recommend it highly.  Incidentally there is also a range called Uni-Lok,
(made I am told by ex-Benbo people) which aims to add even more flexibility
to the basic design.

I have never used an OM2SP, but have had an OM2n and an OM4 for years.  IMHO
the advantages of the OM4 (metering, properly designed flash connections)
are offset by the additional noise and vibration compared with the OM2n.
The tiny controls on the OM4 are a plague - I can use all the features of an
OM2n with gloves on.

If I could only keep one camera, it would be the OM2n.  It seems to me that
an OM2SP is a cut down OM4, with the disadvantages, but without all the
advantages.  Therefore I would recommend the OM2n over the OM2SP any time.