RE:[OM] I'm Back and Ready to Ramble

Subject: RE:[OM] I'm Back and Ready to Ramble
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 22:31:04 -0400

 Chris Barker wrote:

>Kerry they sound vile!  I was attacked by leeches while I swam in the cold
rivers of
>the Shemiran Mountains of Iran when I was younger. However, for real
creepies, ticks
>worry me, whether they be in Tennessee or Scotland.
>
>OM content: the ticks that I gathered in Scotland got me while I was lying
in long
>grass with my OM1N and 200/4 trying to get a decent late afternoon shot of
a noble
>Scots lady fly fishing with a beautiful black hat on.
>
>Chris

I hate ticks, too, but they're managable.  In pastures we've gotten into
hordes of them.. tiny little seed ticks that sneak into all the crevices...
ugh!  An unwritten law of field work is:  Never go on field trips with
anyone you wouldn't mind getting a little more familiar with.  If you get
into enough ticks, it really helps to have someone pull them off.  I once
counted thirty of the little buggers that a complete stranger was kind
enough to pull off my back - the first evening of a 5 day backpacking trip.
 There was no way I was going to wait another 4 days to get them off.

Some folks in the Army Tropical training in Panama would take Crisco (solid
hydrogenated lard for our readers not familiar with the brand) and mix it
with powdered sulphur.  Then pull socks up over pant legs and smear it onto
the socks.  This doesn't help the other avenues of entrance, however.  I'm
usually lying in a cow paddy on my belly, or brushing against branches
(USING THE OM of course!) when a newly hatched generation will hitch a
ride.  They can occur in large numbers like that.

Another pleasant inhabitant of warm areas of the world are the burrowing
fly larvae (bot flies).  You will often see animals especially cattle -
with lumps on their skins.  Well, we can play host, too.  The first time I
encountered one personally, a mosquito bit me on back of my head (not a
rare occurance).  A fly had laid an egg on the newly emerging  mosquito's
proboscis (I think?) and when that mosquito bit me, the miniture larva
entered the hole the mosquito had made and commenced to grow.  Not being
able to see that spot, I just thought I had an itch, until a lump grew very
rapidly to the size of a walnut!  (over about 2 weeks time) Then I had
shooting pains, and headaches, and as I was working alone in a remote area,
I thought I had some sort of fast growing tumor of something!!  It really
got me upset.  I hitched a ride to a local infirmary and the Nurse knew
immediately what it was.. They usually cover a small lump with tobacco
juice, or a sugary paste, or even a lump of animal fat and wait for the
larvae to emerge from the small hole in the skin it uses to breathe and
into the material on top of the hole.  This is an important step, because
the larvae have hooks on the other end that attach inside the skin so they
can't be easily pulled out.

Unfortunately, I hadn't recognized the problem soon enough, so my little
friend didn't want to leave his nice warm habitation.  They had to cut the
skin on the back of my head and scrape  him out.  Then they apologized for
charging me $0.50 US for the operation and stitches!  I could get to like
socialized medicine. We've picked up several since my first one, but always
is easy to reach spots and I've been able to extract them by one of the
other tried and true ways.  Live and learn.

Hmm perhaps this aspect of Field work is one you all would rather not hear
about??  Sorry If I've offended any sensibilities.

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151