Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 22:13:59 EDT
<< a friend asked if he should go for the Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or
 instead buy a 2.0/35 (or even 2.0/28) and a 2.0/85. This together with a
 OM4Ti would make his start with OLYMPUS equipment....
 Any suggestions?

This is a far better start than I had with my meterless Pentax but I would
advise based on his intended usage.  From the magazine reviews I have no doubt
that the 35-80 can make sharp 11 x 14s and occassional 16 x 20s (I don't have
one obviously).  That being determined, will the lack of one stop in low light
conditions and indoors be a problem?  Probably not so I would go for the zoom.
Also, absent someone who has a test or a real comparison we don't know that
the 35-80 isn't sharper and contrastier.  There were many years between the
two lens and the zoom.  I have aTamron 35-105/2.8 and it shines with the 2-4
screen.  I would opt for the zoom.

Warren Kato