Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 14:12:46 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-12 10:01:35 EDT, you (John P) write:

<<  I believe Olympus can be a leader in both.  Look a Sinar.
 Through partnerships with Leaf and others, they have an excellent lineup in
 the LF world.  Oly could do the same.  Besides, the 600L is a neat camera
 :-)  >>
I agree. I may take the plunge when the price/performance ratio improves a bit
more. The DL-600l is capable of 1280 x 1024 pixels resolution (this works out
to 17 x 13 inches are 75 DPI).  We already have computers.  I have the Epson
Stylus 800, etc., so I'm ready.

But the next evolutionary step for digital (in addition to getting more
pixels) is expansion into interchangeable lens (macro, bellows and telephoto)
and a flash system with all the bells and whistles.  Lacking these, digital is
still in its infancy.

As far as using our Zuikos though, I worry.  CCDs are a whole lot smaller than
the 35mm format so the adaptability of our present lenses would involve some
type of optical adapter to make the film/CCD image smaller.  The 9.2-28 mm
lens is supposed to be the equivalen to a 36-110mm on a 35mm format. The CCD
is probably 9mm on its shorter dimension. On the other hand, the DL-600 does
have a through the lens single lens viewfinder.

Lest I ramble on further....

Warren Kato
wkato@xxxxxxx