Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole + My OM1N

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole + My OM1N
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:32:08 +0200
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

>Ulf, I recall you mentioned something about "your service guy" (don't
remember
>how you put the words), do you know this guy? I assume you mean at
Intervision
>(authorized Olympus service in Sweden)? I have been to their website a few
>times, and as far as I know they still do the old stuff of repairing and
service
>(bodies and lenses). Please, correct me if I am wrong.
>Do you happen to know what their plans and thoughts are for the future?

I asked about the servicability on a OM1 as I have had vague plans to get on
of these as a backup for the OM4's. The answer was that the signals from
Japan was that parts are becoming obsolete. Those who send in their OM1's
today can have it serviced but in a year or two this doesn't seem to be
possible.

>After all, to me it seems that there are fewer OM users than ever, and I
don't think
>they will keep doing this if there are no business for it. Just a few weeks
ago,
>in a newsgroup, a guy wondered how much one could sell his body for. And
>Scandinavian Photo (for non Scandinavians: a mail-order company who also
uses
>the Internet, big on the photo market located in Sweden) don't want any
used
>*or* new Olympus stuff, simply because they can't sell. (Shudder again)

That company is odd, I don't think they're interested in selling ANY used
equipment whatsoever. There are quite a few bargains to be made occasionally
(even for N*k*n users), but not as a rule. As a matter of fact I've just
ordered a black OM1N in reportedly good condition, warranted for 6 months at
895 SKR, about 110 US$. Can't wait for it to arrive! But they also have a
OM40 (OMPC for you yankies) in similar condition for 1250 SKR (155 US$). No
logic in that.
At one time they offered an F280 flash as "the OM707(OM77) flash" for 450
SKR (55 US$). This very specimen disappeared faster than water at a Grand
Canyon hike, the next they got in was sold for 1100 SKR. Seems someone
finally grasped that it was the OM4Ti flash that was offered!

Ulf Westerberg