Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:51:46 -0700
>"This assumed Zuiko lenses have the same sharpness and MTF as Leica lenses
>which I'm sure at least they are very close."
>
>Is there any reason at all (other than hype, that is) to think Leica lenses
>are better than Zuiko?  I know it's traditional to *say* Leica lenses have
>superhuman powers, but actually, Olympus makes lenses about as well as they
>can be made.  Some of the test results of Leica lenses that I've seen showed
>that, although definitely respectable, they were not distinguishable from
>other good brands.
>
>Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
>http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><

Actually I have seen some Leitz(Leicas are only cameras. Leica is formed
from LEItz CAmera) lens tests that indicate significant superiority
attended with ravishing praise by the reviewer. However, the same
publication may find that a consumer grade lens is superior to a
professional lens by the same manufacturer or accidentally test another
sample of the same lens with signficant differences. I really do not think
there has ever been any  lens testing in any US publications objective, or
accurate enough to draw any useful conclusions.

I am inclined to agree with you. In the 60's and 70's I think that the
Japanese definitely had the edge. Their early adoption of computers to make
the necessary calculations in lens design allowed them to bring new
generations of lenses out very quickly while Leitz struggled with pencil,
paper and calculators to design a small handful of lenses the old fashioned
way for their new Leicaflex cameras. Today with international markets and
manufacturing methods there is probably not much difference between them.
The price for Leicas and Leitz lenses has less to do with cost and normal
markup and more with the pricing of fur coats and high end audio--the more
expensive, the more desirable it is.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California