Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250/f5...

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250/f5...
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:25:33 EDT
<< On  8 Oct 98 at 10:27, C.H.Ling wrote:
 > The 85-250/5 is only 800g (1.76lb) without tripod ring while the 65-200/4
 > is 730g (1.6lb). Personally I found the 85-250 is much better in weight
 > balance when hand hold, but light fall off at the corners at 85mm is quite
 > annoying.

 Is this light fall off only at wider apertures, or throughout?
 Shawn Wright >>

Hi C.H. & Shawn,
I guess I should jump in here.  As you may remember, I did a fairly detailed
comparison between the 85 f2 & 85-250 zoom at 85mm @ f8 a few weeks ago.  This
was a mountain scene and I saw NO light fall off evidence with the Zoom.  I
did have the two slides printed to 10 X 14"'s and the results of evaluation
are as follows.
1) Camera store salesmen (one of those photo geeks).  I ask if he would take a
look and tell me which one was the sharpest photo.  "Well, this one is maybe a
bit sharper (The Zoom), but that could be the result of printing.  BUT, Sue
does a great job!, It's really very close.  I like the color of the granite
mountains in this one (The Zoom), But, the color of the granite probably
actually looked more like this one (The 85 Prime).  What did you do
differently?"  I told him it was 2 different lenses.  "What?! Two different
lenses?  I thought this was the same photo from the same lens!  What were the
lenses you used?  Before I could answer, he was called to the phone.  I packed
up and left.
2) My wife, after a few minutes picked the 85mm f2 prime.  She said it's just
a little sharper.
3) I looked over the prints with a 10X loupe and could see some sharpness gain
with the 85mm prime.  But, I could not see much if any difference with the
unaided eye.
Conclusion; I think if proper technique is used, one would be hard pressed to
see a difference at normal 8X10 prints.  I printed at 10 X 14" so I could
evaluate the far edges.  Again, I saw no light fall off nor lack of sharpness
at the edges.
BW
Ps, I hesitate to say this, but the 85-250 zoom hood can be adjusted (with
little screw stops under the hood) to allow the hood to extend to far out and
will interfere with the lens set at 85 mm.  Could someone have tampered with
this adjustment, causing the edge problem?  I have never seen this light fall
off problem with my 85-250 zoom.