Re: [OM] Metering problem on 2S(P)

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering problem on 2S(P)
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:51:41
At 10:16 23/10/98 +0100, Mark Dickinson wrote:
>The meter on my 2SP sometimes 'peaks' for no apparent reason. It then
>settles down when I tap the exposure comp./film speed dial. It is not a
>major problem, as it doesn't happen that often and I can normally tell when
>it is happening. However, it can be disconcerting when taking spot readings
>of difficult subjects.
>My own theory is that there is an intermittent short circuit in the film
>speed dial, causing the camera to 'think' it has the fastest film speed set.
>Is this the likely explanation? Is it easily fixable and could I fix it
>myself by cleaning contacts etc.? If so, how do I get at them?
>
>Mark

I have an OM2-SP bought new when they first came out; it has had this
problem for most of its life.  It's been "repaired" at least once, possibly
twice, but the problem has always come back. It spent a very long time set
to 64ASA, and that's the unsurprisingly the least reliable setting now. I
just keep a finger near the ASA dial and prod it now and then till it
settles down.

As a matter of interest, does anyone have a feel for the comparative
reliability of the OM cameras?  The 2-SP has been the most troublesome of
mine (none of the others, a 10, 1n and 4, have put a foot wrong yet...)

Regards
Richard