Re: [OM] questions about macro 20mm f3.5 and macro38mm f3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] questions about macro 20mm f3.5 and macro38mm f3.5
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:15:56 -0600
At 11:11 AM 11/7/98 +0100, you wrote:
>According to an Olympus brochure ("Olympus OM system, Zuiko interchangeable
>lenses group") Zuiko's macro 20mm f3.5 and macro38mm f3.5 lenses are to be
>used via the optional lens mount PM-MTob and bellows or extension tubes.
>
>Is it posible to use these lenses on a microscope? In other words, do they
>have the standard RMS thread used for regular microscope objectives? And do
>they have a "manual" or an "automated" diaphragm?

I don't have a piece of Olympus literature that says it, but I understand it
is RMS. Lepp's Beyond the Basics confirms this. There are also photographic
RMS objectives from Canon, Minolta, Zeiss, Leica, Topcon, and Minolta,
although some (including the Olympus) are no longer manufactured.

These are manual diaphragm. The new OM series (20 and 38) have OM mount,
auto- diaphragm, a short focusing helical for focus touchup without moving
the camera, and standard filter threads for mounting accessories (They can't
be used for filters since they are back behind the protruding front of the
lens.)

Paul Farrar