Re: [OM] Re: OM Help with meteor shower pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM Help with meteor shower pictures
From: mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Stoesz)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:27:59 -0600
Good evening Greg and other Zuikoholics;

Meteor photography is quite easy.

a) select a normal or short fast lens
b) select a moderately fast film, 400, fuji 800, kodak PMJ,
c) tripod, cable release, warm jacket, hot beverage, light but warm gloves.
d) select a dark site facing east with no sky glow from cities in that direction
     (the high desert of Wyoming is very dark and the largest city is less
than
      60,000 in population)
e) a watch or timer that is visible in the dark is handy but not necessary
f) try and be at your selected site about 1am if you are in the US or Canada.
g) with the lens a maximum aperture, make timed exposures from 3-10 minutes.
h) a CRF Olympus with a 40mmf/1.7 lens works great.
I) to calculate effeciency of the lens- divide the focal length of the lens by
      square of the aperture-the higher the number the better it is for meteor
      photography.  Example-40mm f2.8 vs. 40mm f/1.7--- 40/7.84=5.10 vs.
      40/2.89=13.84.

Here are lens efficiency # for various Zuiko lenses
        24f/2=6
        24f/2.8=3
        28f/2=7
        28f/2.8=3.5
        35f/2=8.7
        40f/1.7=13.8 Olympus 35 RD
        40f/2=10
        42f/1.7=14.5 Olympus 35SPn
        50f/1.2=34.7
        50f/1.4=25.5
        50f/1.8=15.4
        85f2=21.3
        100f/2=25

This is what I will be using--3 tripods with special platforms for 3-4
cameras on each tripod; 2-Yashica Lynx 14E w/45mm f/1.4 lenses, 3-Canon
QL17 GIII with 40mm f/1.7 lenses; Olympus 35-SPn w/42mm f/1.7 lens, Brooks
Veriwide with 47mm f8 lens (with fuji RMS 100/1000 slide film
cross-processed in C-41), Mamiya Press w/75f5.6 and same film, and maybe a
Rollei 2.8E2 with Fuji NHG-II 800.

I will have help tending the cable releases and film wind procedures, may
not use all at same time (stagger exposures by 5 min.).

Good luck and stay warm.

Mike
>With the visible meteor  showers this week, I would appreciate some advice
>from those experienced in taking pictures in theses lines. Need advice on film
>speed, time exposures, aperture, focal links, etc..
>Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
>Thank You,
>Greg
>VirgilOM4T@xxxxxxx

Mike Stoesz, Rainbow Photography, 213 Grand Av., Laramie, Wy. 82070