[OM] OM-1 prism foam removal

Subject: [OM] OM-1 prism foam removal
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:45:38 -0800
After debating whether to have my "new" OM-1 serviced for gooey foam
seals, I decided to do it myself, so I know who to blame for the screw ups... ;-
)

I'm ordering new foam from John H., but decided to see if I had the gooey
prism foam problem and poke about under the hood a little.
Using last week's post as a guide (sorry, don't recall who posted it - I went
from memory), I popped the lid off, but not before scratching the black wind
lever screw cover. (aargh!) I figured I could do it without damage as I had
done so on my OM-10s, but no go - it was tight, and I slipped...
Aside from that mishap. all went well.
I was able to peel most of the foam away leaving very little residue on the
prism, then wiped the remainder off gently with a q-tip dipped in a bit of lens
cleaner, then dried carefully. The black paint was showing very slight signs of
loosening from the prism, but I think it's ok.
This foam is terrible - it is like roofing tar when it sticks to anything,
including
fingers!
The only serious goo was stuck to the hotshoe bracket and two spots on the
underside of the lid. Since these are both bare metal, I got a bit brutal and
used a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover - voila! Even this goo was no match
for this treatment. I was careful to use very little liquid and wipe thoroughly
afterwards of course.

Total time including messing up the wind screw was just over an hour, so it's
no big deal, but if you have a mint OM-1, I'd try to find a proper spanner for
this screw. I ended up enlarging the holes slightly to fit my circlip pliers
smallest tips, which I should have tried first.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)