[OM] OM1n and 2-4 screen

Subject: [OM] OM1n and 2-4 screen
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:50:54 +0100
Hi gang

I'm the one that got Perry Bain's 2-4 screen, of which he so gracefully
already had modified to fit my (well, no his own) OM1n.

This weekend I got the chance to test this combo.
For correct readings I had my two other OM's, OM4 and OM4Ti which deliver
exactly the same readings, both with 2-4 screens BTW. The OM1n also has
corresponding readings with a 1-13 screen, though not as digitally exact as
the OM4's, of course. All cameras initially set at ISO 200.

First lenschoice: The 90/2 macro. This lens delivers a very clear screen
already with the original 1-series screens, the difference is, IMHO, not
very great.
Next choice: 50/1.8. Same result here. As with the 90/2, readings are 1 stop
off, I have to turn my ISO to 100 from 200 just as expected.
Next lenschoice: 300+1.4/6.3. yes, it is brighter, but, but it is also, dare
I say, "blurry"??  It is NOT at all as tack sharp as this lenscombo is with
the OM4's. Well, maybe there is some advantage, but not very much and, yes,
the view is "blurry"! Huh?
Same with the 300/4.5 only. The view of this lens is IMO acceptable with the
1-13 on the OM1n. With the 2-4, well, brighter but it just does not "snap"!

Now for the most confusing part of this story: My readings have gone
berserk. Now to get the same corresponding readings as the OM4's (and the
OM1n with 1-13) I have to turn my ISO dial to 400! The opposite way as
expected. And 2 stops! I've tried and tested , again and again, switched
screens, switched lenses, put the 300/4.5 on tripod so to get exactly the
same view (my lawn, clouds, indoor lamps, everything). Always the same
result.

It seems that somewhere around 200mm the 1 stop difference previously
measured now is gone at focal lenghts of 300mm and up a 2 stop difference
THE OTHER WAY is encountered.

OK, I admit having some spanish wine the evening before, but then why was
only the OM1n view blurry?

Seriously, have any others on this list encountered this? Is my OM1n one of
a few with built in resistor to new screens? Any suggestions, please.

The 1-13 screen is now back on the OM1n.

Sorry for the length of this
Ulf Westerberg