RE: [OM] OM Millenium Plans

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Millenium Plans
From: Steve Goss <steveg3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 09:01:49 -0600
Various people wrote:

>The first sunrise of the new millenia is on 1/1/2001... >
>Paul Schings

>From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Well, technically speaking, it would be 2000 years after the birth of
>Christ, which is a matter of some debate, since while 1/1/2000 is too
>early, 1/1/2001 is too late, if you accept our dating system as an
>accurate count of the years, which it almost certainly isn't. Not to
>mention the debate on exactly when Christ was born (again, certainly >not
>Christmas day, that was based on existing Roman holidays adopted by the
>early Christians to avoid the small problems, like being thrown to >lions,
>associated with practicing an illegal religion in those early days).

>Since "the new millenia" is totally arbitrary anyway, and even if it's
>meaningful to you, in doubt by something like 3-5 years or more, hey,
>celebrate the one you want. The popular "new millenia" date is the one
>that'll have the most impact with the most people, anyway.

>Paul Schings
>If anyone cares, there was this carpenter named Jesus and most of the
>western world synchronized their calenders to reflect his death.  Some >of
>you may have seen the date given as such and such AD, e.g. 2001 AD.  >Some
>educationally challenged folks think AD means after death as in after >this
>Jesus guy died but actually it is a Latin abbreviation which stands for
>anno domini which many translate as "in the year of our lord."

Yes, AD stands for "Anno Domini", but is supposed to be the birth of
Jesus, not His death (that would have been about 29AD or so)  This whole
AD & BC stuff was designed by a Monk many years after the fact.  So no,
there was no 0AD year, but neither was there a 1AD or 2AD year. (at
least they didn't call them that back then)  From what I have heard, he
got his math a little wrong, and the political climate for Jesus to be
born happened about 3 or 4 BC. (Herod died then)
Which means that as far as weird things happening 2000 years after the
event that we are counting from, only that Heaven's Gate bunch got it
right.  About the 432BC coin- It's just as real as ones dated anywhere
from 2AD to a few hundred AD.

Steve Goss  Dallas TX, usa
steveg3@xxxxxxxxx