Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:29:55
At 11:09 PM 1/23/1999 EST, you wrote:
>George writes:
>
>> I've always had good luck using the "sunny 16 rule" after all, the moon is
>>  bathed in sunlight! Just like a sunny day on the Earth!
>
>Interesting.  So when Ansel Adams was quoted as saying he just recalled the
>footcandles of the sun in guessing at a Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico shot,
>all he was really saying was "I used Sunny 16."  Seems less impressive now.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary,

Just as impressive, if true, since either is simply information that
provides a target-lock on exposure.  But I have some doubts about the Sunny
16 rule (no offense to George), nor is it what Adams apparently used to
calculate exposure for the moon.  Here's what he says in _Natural Light
Photography_ (pp. 72-3): "For practical purposes the average brightness of
the moon, as it appears from sea level, is about 250 c.p.sq.ft. Certain
areas of the moon are slightly brighter, and its surface when seen in
crescent is brighter than when the moon is full.... The brightness of the
moon in daylight (such as when it is rising a day or so before full moon)
is greater than when it is shining in the night sky -- all appearances
notwithstanding! To the brightness of the moon you must add the brightness
of the sky. The atmosphere is illuminated by the sun and its brightness is
*added* to that of the moon...." etc., etc.

Not exactly something you could fit on a film carton.

Joel