Re[2]: [OM] Guess That Auction!

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Guess That Auction!
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:44:38 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:25:12 -0600, Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx> jammed
all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> Incidentally, "coyote ugly" slurs and handsome and clever critter.

No -- it's not referring to the coyote. Legend has it (no coyotes
reported in the swamps of South Jersey recently, so I can't say from
first-hand knowledge) that a coyote will chew its own foot off to get
out of a trap. Now, back in my college days, this was the expression for
person, presumably human and of the opposite sex, one might wake up with
the next day, particularly after a night of way too many beers, shots,
etc. The point being, with the beer goggles removed, you would rather
chew your own arm off than risk waking your former paramour by removing
it from around his/her, well, whatever.

Anyway, that's "coyote ugly". Metaphorically speaking, you're the
coyote, the "ugly" is the trap.

> I suggest "possum ugly" as more discriptive...

Well, hey, once you get to know them, they make for reasonable neighbors.
We get 'em in the compost heap and out back looking for cat food. Sure,
the deer are prettier, but it's far more challenging to get a good
possum shot. Worse yet is this gigantic blue heron; that sucker has some
kind of ESP, he can sense a lens pointed his way faster than I can focus
and click...

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One