RE: [OM] Vivitar close up filters

Subject: RE: [OM] Vivitar close up filters
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:56:34 -0400
John,
These filters work "OK" .  They will not replace a macro lens by any
stretch of the imagination, but they will "do the job".
Sorta like putting an extension tube on a 50mm f/1.4 lens.  It wasn't
designed for that, but the photo you get is a lot better than without the
magnification.  Definitely not flat field material. You are trading optical
quality (50 macro) for convenience and lower cost.  As they say, you get
what you pay for.  What's it worth?
Optical quality of the +1,+2,+4 sets was pretty good in the Vivitar series.
 Of course, the real advantage is ability to easily place them on the lens
and get a photo without additional exposure compensation as would be
necessary with an extension tube.
When the filters are used all together (+1, +2, +4) to make a +7, or if you
use any two together, you should place the highest numbered filter closest
to the lens, followed by the next highest lens, etc.
In the early days of the filters, they came in +1, +2, +3.  Vivitar changed
in ~1976 (guess that dates me) to the current 1,2,4.  Someone realized that
1+2=3, so why have a 3, use a 4 instead and get a higher range.  Cool!

As far as the 135 lens, you'd have to try it and see.  Obviously, the
magnification won't be as great as with a 50, but you should still have a
decent photo.

Brian Huber