[OM] pendantic quibbles

Subject: [OM] pendantic quibbles
From: "Neil Bell" <neil.bell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:42:30 +0000
Recently I bought a second-hand Olympus OM1n and 50mm f1.4 lens,
having previously used Pentax equipment. I do quite a bit of close-up
photography at or near 1:1 magnification (mostly with a Tamron 90mm
SP macro lens) and the OM1n's mirror lock-up was a plus point.

Because precise focusing is so critical in macro work I am always wary
about things being slightly out with second hand equipment, especially
with camera bodies as regards prism/mirror alignment etc. With Pentax
bodies I could pretty much tell if things were OK by attaching a 50mm
lens I knew to be good and focusing on infinity - in a good body the
focusing would always go past infinity by a very small amount. Could
someone with experience of Olympus tell me what should be expected
with an OM1? With the 50mm 1.4 I have, things seem to be pretty much
dead on infinity when the focusing ring is turned as far as it will
go. If anything, when I focus on something in the very far distance in
bright light, it seems that the camera won't quite get to infinity
(but I'm talking a VERY small discrepancy here - barely visible). If
the camera was a Pentax I would be tempted to get it adjusted, as I
would expect the focusing to go slightly past infinity.

A second question - My 50mm 1.4 seems to have an annoying problem
which may either be a design fault or a specific problem with my lens.
When the aperture is set at 1.4, the meter doesn't seem to register a
full stop increase in light from f2.0 but rather something nearer a
half stop. i.e the needle in the viewfinder is lower for, say, f1.4 at
125th than it is for f2.0 at 60th. The problem seems to be with the
lens - the little metal guide which moves to tell the camera what
aperture is set doesn't move as much between f 2 and f1.4 as it does
between the other stops. Do I have a duff lens or is this a universal
problem? Or, horror of horrors (surely not), is the 1.4  actually not
quite a 1.4?

Neil.