Re: [OM] Tamron SP 35-105/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 35-105/2.8
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:05:38 EDT
Glen:

You are calling your lens "like new" but the mechanics are a 7 condition (=
useable but out of wack in such a way to impede it use).  This isn't a
varifocal design (to the best of my knowledge) and either the lubrication or
tension is out of specs.  That constitutes an overall, at best, 7+IB (in box)
or so condition in my opinion.  Thus the price may not be as attractive as it
looks.  It's amazing how many sellers grade on cosmetics alone.

Zooms are a bear (read expensive) to overhaul.  IMHO, either figure on
investing maybe $70 (if you can find anyone to service it) or just walk away
from the deal.

Also, ask yourself this: do you really need a fast zoom or can you combine 1)
a 35-105mm f/3.5~4.5 Zuiko with fine results at f/5.6 and smaller, with 2)
faster primes at any of your most used focal lengths that covers?  To get
good shooting performance at apertures larger than f/5.6 you are going to
need fast primes (read f/2 or better).

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV