[OM] 50-250 f/5 Lens Test posted

Subject: [OM] 50-250 f/5 Lens Test posted
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 03:23:27 EDT
By the time this makes distribution on the OM List, I will have posted to:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
the results of lens testing for the 50-250mm f/5 Zuiko.  I used the Bogen
Long Lens Support with this one, since it is front heavy and not particularly
suited for tripod use (i.e., lacks a tripod collar).  The zoom range is
breathtaking and it's easier to focus than I expected.  There isn't much
depth to the lens hood at long focal lengths.  Also, the lack of internal
focusing makes for lots of lens movement when using a Long Lens Support, thus
the need to clamp down the lens AFTER composing and focusing.

There is a dip in performance at the 200mm focal length setting.  This is
real hard to explain.  I double-checked focus AFTER clamping down the Velcro
strap, so I'm not sure what is up here.  Another case of the OM-1 harmonics
at 200mm?

Noteworthy is an A grade in the center at f/16 and 250mm!

Posted in the competing lens section are the results of the Canon FD 35-105
f/3.5 constant aperture zoom - a much heralded lens.  The 35-105mm f/3.5~4.5
Zuiko is no slouch in comparison.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV