Re: [OM] Cheap Fish-eye effects

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Fish-eye effects
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:03:26 +0200
: Has anyone put a filter or wide lens adapter (normally used for video)
: to make there super wide into a very poor man's fish-eye?  I've been
: messing with  some wide lens adapters used for video.  I have not really
: found anything giving me more than maybe a 120 degree field of view.
: But I have not really tried too hard.  It's going to be used for
: immersive imaging.  I'm sure some one has tried this with more success
: than me.

I have one of these toys. A 'skylight video semi-fisheye lens 0.42x' with a
46->49 adapter ring. I've found the same results as you: the angle of view
is limited to 120 degrees. When you use shorter focal lengths, the angle of
view does not increase, but the projected circle gets smaller.
On a 21mm/F3.5 the circle is so small that the width of the film isn't
completely used.
On a 24mm/F2.8 the circle almost touches the top and bottom of the
viewfinder (at least on the OM-1, on the OM-4 the bottom is cut off).
On a 28mm/F2.8 the circle is cut off at the top and the bottom.
On the 35mm/F2.8 the circle is probably also cut off at the right and left -
I haven't tested that one because I only have the 35mm/F2 which has a 55mm
thread.
On a 40mm/F2, which is the longest focal length that gives a satisfying
result, the circle almost fills the frame except for the corners, so it is
almost a diagonal fisheye like the 16mm/F3.5 except for its smaller angle of
view.
Because of their larger DOF the 21mm and 24mm give best results, but only
when you stop them down (almost) completely. Wide open only the center of
the image is sharp. Metering must be done with a spot meter (OM-2Sp/3/4) or
before the adapter is attached.

Hnz